Friday, February 24, 2012

Bit of a Meltdown...Mommy Meltdown.

Today was my turn for a bit of a meltdown.

Chalk it up to the combination of feeling wildly vulnerable, a wee unsafe and caught off guard- but tonight the tears started coming...and coming...and coming.

I'm learning (slower than I'd like) that I can't control the world around me, but I can control the world I choose to live in.

The world I choose to expose my children to.

I am not a believer in sheltering a child, especially a child with special needs- but I do believe in minimizing situations, places, ideas that un-do 187,000 hours of soul you put into building, guiding and developing your children's self worth.

This could be one of my greatest challenges of parenting- when to protect and when to conquer.

Tonight my parenting (more so, my child's reaction to her world) was challenged by a close relative- again.
Frustrating.
Hurtful.
Exhausting.

What I should have done was take my babies and head home; what I did, was sit and try to explain, educate, and plead for more empathy...tried it to tears.

I believe this is a pretty clear sign that trying to control people's behaviors around us will drain me of my purpose- but educating and advocating to those who want to listen, will fuel my nerves, my gumption, my fight.

To all who give a few minutes of your day to read our blog, to learn about the scallywhompiness that is our world; to those who engage their heart and honor our fight- I can't thank you enough.
Truly.

2 comments:

  1. You are a great mommy and what you are doing is the right thing. Don't let other peoples ideas upset you. Just keep your chin up and keep being you! Your kids will thank you some day for ever thing and every fight you have for them.
    Love you Jill and i will keep you in my prayer as well as the ones you are having issues with.
    Love Annie

    ReplyDelete