Monday, August 6, 2012

GFCF Apple Pie

This morning I had a bit of extra time- before kids woke up and after zucchini bread was in the oven- so I thought I could bake an apple pie to enjoy throughout the day.

I am loving the pie crust recipe from "Cooking for Isaiah":

2 3/4 cups AP GF flour
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum (if not in AP blend)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups chilled veggie shortening, cut into cubes
2/3 cup ice water


The book says to mix ingredients in food processor, but with mine out of commission, I opted for my hands and a wooden spoon- SUPER messy, but it works.
I then split the dough in half, threw each round in some plastic wrap and in the freezer it went. It takes about 15 minutes to harden the dough up, so this is when I make the filling of the pie.

The filling:
I just peeled and cored 5 granny smiths, threw in some cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon juice, and pie spice. Nothing was measured, just mixed to where it "looked right".

A few weeks back I was cleaning my mom's kitchen for her, when I found this vintage painter's cloth-type mat in her utensil drawer. Turns out it is used to roll out pie crusts, and what was even better- she didn't want it any longer!
Can I just say, if you like to bake pies- go buy yourself some painters cloth! This piece of fabric saved me SO much time and energy in flouring my counter top, re flouring and cleaning it all up. In LOVE.

Certainly not fancy, but a delicious apple pie went in the oven at 6am this morning (at 350 for 45 minutes) and in our bellies for lunch.

I had a bit of dough and filling left over, so I made some pocket pies for the girls too.

I folded them in half and popped them in the oven- 350 for about 15 minutes. Next time I will cut the apple pieces smaller for these little pies- they turned out tasty, but SUPER not cute.



1 comment: